How to stay stress free for less this summer – although it is easier in the heat!
- Buy a swingball for the garden – good exercise and does away with the need to find a tennis court.
- Go to your local playground – the one I found in London last week had this spinny silver dish thing that went really fast and a really big slide. It was cool.
- Rent a bike – get on a bike and ideally pedal along a river. I recommend the Seine. But any river will do. Look at the trees and butterflies. One of the best stress reducers around.
- Picnic by the river – OK, I’m obsessed with rivers. Pack wine, cheese and meats (or not if you’re veggie) and arrange to meet your mates near the river. Bring music. Have fun. On your own terms.
- Camping – if you get kicked out of your flat – you don’t need to worry about finding somewhere else until mid September if the heatwave lasts. Get a teepee and go put it up somewhere beautiful. Then do no’s 3 and 4 above. For a month.
- Make your winter clothes into summer clothes – cut the sleeves off your denim jacket to make a cute gilet. Cut the legs off your jeans to make shorts. Worry about warmer clothing when it gets cold.
- Watch films outside – go to one of those outdoor film screening. Take 4 above. Ideally do it in 3D. Jurassic Park is good.
- Make perfume – pretend you’re five again and pick roses, put them in water and then strain it to make scented water.
- Have a disco in your garage. Who says you can’t do it as a grown up. OK, there’s a little less space but at least you can have your own playlist.
- Go to music in the park or a play in the park. Cultural pursuits are good and don’t have to break the bank. Watching a band on a bandstand with a 4 above or a bit of Shakespeare is good for the soul.
Have a great summer and don’t spoil it by worrying 🙂